Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Pickled egg series - First batches

My initial recipes follow. These recipes were packed with a brine solution consisting 50/50 of vinegar/water and approximately 1Tbsp salt per pt.

These recipes were 2-3 egg samples in pint jars.

1) ~1slice medium sweet onion, Tbsp red pepper, Tbsp garlic salt.
After 3 days, these looked too good to resist. They actually came out OK, but the garlic salt wasn't bad. Dried minced garlic may have worked, but powdered spices (that don't dissolve) don't work.

2) ~1slice medium sweet onion, 1/8c pickled jalepenos, Tbsp garlic salt
After three days, I gave it a shot. Wasn't that great. If I was to do this again, I would use the onion and try dehydrated minced jalepeno.

3) ~1slice medium sweet onion, 1/8c white sugar
After three days, was pretty good! Doing this again as batch 8, this time l'll wait a week ;).

4) 1/4c white sugar, Tbsp basil
I'm not sure what to expect with the basil - I just had it in the cabinet. Opening it on Thanksgiving and trying it out.

5) 1/8c brown sugar
Expect it to be simple and sweet. Trying it on Thanksgiving.

6) 1 slice medium onion, 1Tbsp red pepper
Same as 1, sans garlic. Expecting great things when they're open on Thanksgiving ;).

7) I don't know what happened, but there's no 7 ;)

8) Same as 3.


I'm going to be researching some additional recipes and ingredients, trying some technique modifications, etc etc etc. Ideas welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment